Burger's Park is a 4 hectare park in the centre of Pretoria. It was named after the second President of the Transvaal, Thomas Francois Burgers.The property was originally set aside to become a botanical garden in 1874. George Hays, owner of Melrose House (which stands across the street from Burger's Park and enjoys a beautiful view over it) was responsible for the final layout, along with the government bontanist, James Hunter. The park was eventually completed in 1892, making it the oldest park in the city.
The park is a fine example of a Victorian-style park, with its irregular, curved paths.
It houses a great number of interesting structures. These include a large fish pond, a florarium, a Kiosk, a cast-iron Bandstand, a statue of President Burgers and a World War 1 monument built to honour those among the South African Scottish Regiment who died in battle
Burger's Park also houses many trees that were planted to commemorate important events.
This park is a beautiful, relaxing place where city-dwellers can escape from the hussle and bustle of city-life for a few minutes of quiet tranquility.